Business cycle survey - June 2011
Confidence of entrepreneurs higher than confidence of consumers
Overall confidence in domestic economy did not change m-o-m in June. The composite confidence indicator (economic sentiment indicator) remained stable. Confidence of entrepreneurs increased faintly (by 0.3 point m-o-m); confidence of consumers decreased by 1.3 points. Compared to June 2010, the composite confidence indicator is 0.1 point up; if compared to its values during recession (in second half of 2008 and in 2009), it is significantly higher.
* * *
Business confidence indicator increased by 0.3 point in June. A slight decline of confidence in industry and construction was balanced by its increase in selected services and in trade. Compared to June 2010, the confidence of entrepreneurs is 3.7 points up. With exception of construction, all branches have already overcome confidence decrease during recession.
In industry, the assessment of current overall economic situation increased slightly. The assessment of current total demand decreased slightly, positive assessment of foreign demand did not change. According to respondents, stocks increased. For next three months, respondents expect a slight improvement of production activity but are cautious about employment. Expectations of general economic situation development for the next three months are almost the same as in May, for next six months they are lower. All in all the confidence in industry decreased by 0.6 point; compared to June 2010 it is 1.4 points up. If compared to its values during recession, confidence in industry is on significantly higher levels and it is also higher than its long-term average.
In construction, the assessment of current economic situation increased m-o-m in June. Low assessment of total demand decreased further, even though the assessment of construction activity did not change. For the period of the next three months respondents expect a decrease in construction activity by almost unchanged employment. Respondents estimate that they have work secured by contracts for 8.2 months ahead. Expectations of the economic situation development for the next three as well as six months are higher than in May. Overall, confidence in construction decreased by 1 point m-o-m (namely due to low assessment of demand) in June and it is 9 points down, y-o-y.
In trade, the assessment of current economic situation in June increased slightly, compared to May. According to respondents, in June, the finished goods stocks decreased. Expectations of the economic situation development for the period of the next three as well as six months are higher than in May. The confidence in trade increased by 3 points, m-o-m; it is 7.3 points up y-o-y.
In selected services, according to respondents, the assessment of current economic situation increased compared to May. The assessment of demand decreased compared to May, its expectations for the next three months increased slightly. For next three months, expectations of total economic situation development are slightly higher than in May, for next six they are higher. Overall, the confidence in selected services increased by 1.4 points, m-o-m, to be 8.4 points up y-o-y.
Consumer confidence indicator decreased by 1.3 points compared to May and it is 14.3 points down compared to June 2010. The survey taken among consumers in June indicates that consumers are for the next twelve months more afraid of a decrease in the overall economic situation; in respect to their own financial standing, consumers’ fears are the same as in May. The share of respondents expecting rises in unemployment increased in June. Percentage of respondents planning to save money increased a bit. Respondents again consider present times not convenient for saving and expectations of rise in prices in next twelve months remain high in June.
Responsible manager: Juraj Lojka, director
Contact person: Marie Hörmannová, tel. +420274052049, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Data source: CZSO business survey, GfK Praha consumer survey
Business and Consumers Surveys are co-financed by grant agreements
of the European Commission DG ECFIN
End of data collection: 20 June 2011
Related publication: 1201-10 Business Cycle Survey in Enterprises of Industry, Construction,
Trade and Selected Services
Next News Release: 25 July 2011
Not edited for language
Seasonally adjusted confidence indicators
International comparison (May 2011)
Note: Long term average is usually calculated over the period from 1990, if harmonised data are available (for the Czech Republic, it is an average since 1993).
- year 2021 | September 2021 | August 2021 | July 2021 | June 2021 | May 2021 | April 2021 | March 2021 | February 2021 | January 2021
- year 2020 | December 2020 | November 2020 | October 2020 | September 2020 | August 2020 | July 2020 | June 2020 | May 2020 | April 2020 | March 2020 | February 2020 | January 2020
- year 2019 | December 2019 | November 2019 | October 2019 | September 2019 | August 2019 | July 2019 | June 2019 | May 2019 | April 2019 | March 2019 | February 2019 | January 2019
- year 2018 | December 2018 | November 2018 | October 2018 | September 2018 | August 2018 | July 2018 | June 2018 | May 2018 | April 2018 | March 2018 | February 2018 | January 2018
- year 2017 | December 2017 | November 2017 | October 2017 | September 2017 | August 2017 | July 2017 | June 2017 | May 2017 | April 2017 | March 2017 | February 2017 | January 2017
- year 2016 | December 2016 | November 2016 | October 2016 | September 2016 | August 2016 | July 2016 | June 2016 | May 2016 | April 2016 | March 2016 | February 2016 | January 2016
- year 2015 | December 2015 | November 2015 | October 2015 | September 2015 | August 2015 | July 2015 | June 2015 | May 2015 | April 2015 | March 2015 | February 2015 | January 2015
- year 2014 | December 2014 | November 2014 | October 2014 | September 2014 | August 2014 | July 2014 | June 2014 | May 2014 | April 2014 | March 2014 | February 2014 | January 2014
- year 2013 | December 2013 | November 2013 | October 2013 | September 2013 | August 2013 | July 2013 | June 2013 | May 2013 | April 2013 | March 2013 | February 2013 | January 2013
- year 2012 | December 2012 | November 2012 | October 2012 | September 2012 | August 2012 | July 2012 | June 2012 | May 2012 | April 2012 | March 2012 | February 2012 | January 2012
- year 2011 | December 2011 | November 2011 | October 2011 | September 2011 | August 2011 | July 2011 | June 2011 | May 2011 | April 2011 | March 2011 | February 2011 | January 2011
- year 2010 | December 2010 | November 2010 | October 2010 | September 2010 | August 2010 | July 2010 | June 2010 | May 2010 | April 2010 | March 2010 | February 2010 | January 2010
The data are valid as of the release date of the publication.
Contact: Information Services Unit - Headquarters
Are you interested in latest data connected with inflation, GDP, population, wages in industry and much more?
You can find them on pages of the Czech Statistical Office on the Internet: www.czso.cz
tel: +420 274 052 304, +420 274 052 451, e-mail: email@example.com