Business cycle survey - November 2020
Overall confidence in the economy still decreases
The composite confidence indicator (economic sentiment indicator) – in the basis index form - decreased by 4.4 percentage points to 82.0, m-o-m, the lowest value from July 2020. Business confidence indicator decreased by 4.8 percentage points to 81.7 (m-o-m), and consumer confidence indicator fell by 2.9 percentage points to 83.1. Economic sentiment indicator, business confidence indicator and consumer confidence indicator have significantly lower values, y-o-y.
In industry, business confidence declined, m-o-m. The confidence indicator fell by 3.6 points to 87.9. The share of industrial enterprises evaluating their current total demand as insufficient has hardly changed compared to October. The stock of finished products has increased. The share of entrepreneurs expecting the growth rate of production activity for the next three months decreased significantly. In November, the share of industrial enterprises expecting demand growth for the next three to six months decreased further. The confidence in industry is lower, y-o-y.
The survey about the investment activity in the manufacturing sector - done during the autumn – shows that in 2020, compared to last year, respondents expect a decrease in investment by approximately 10%. For 2021, entrepreneurs estimate a slight growth in investment, about 2%, y-o-y. The investments will mainly concern the renewal of existing production facilities, less so the acquisition of new technologies or the expansion of production capacities.
Confidence of entrepreneurs in the construction decreased, m-o-m. The confidence indicator fell by 1.9 points to 108.5. The share of entrepreneurs evaluating their current demand for construction work as insufficient did not change compared to October. Entrepreneurs in the construction industry estimate that the current number of employees will decrease in the next three months. Compared to November 2019, confidence in the construction industry is significantly lower.
Confidence in the trade sector has declined. The confidence indicator fell by 5.7 points to 92.1, m-o-m. The share of entrepreneurs evaluating the overall economic situation as well decreased significantly, m-o-m. Expectations concerning the economic situation for the next three months are also significantly lower than in October. The stock of goods has increased. Confidence in trade is lower, y-o-y.
In selected service sector (including the banking sector), confidence indicator fells sharply for the second month. The confidence indicator fell by 6.0 points to 71.2. As in October, all sub-indicators made a significant contribution to the decline in the confidence indicator. The assessment of the current economic situation has decreased. The share of respondents negatively evaluating the current total demand increased again in November. The share of entrepreneurs expecting an improvement in demand in the next three months also decreased significantly. Confidence in selected services is significantly lower, y-o-y.
Consumer confidence indicator fells again, m-o-m. The confidence indicator fell by 2.9 points to 83.1. After falling sharply in October, consumers worries about the worsening overall economic situation remained almost unchanged in November. Consumers' concerns about their financial situation are also about the same as last month. The intention to save has decreased. The number of consumers worried about rising unemployment in the next twelve months rose sharply again in November. Concerns about rising prices remained as high as in October. Compared to the same month last year, consumer confidence is significantly lower.
Data for the business and consumer part of the business cycle surveys were collected from 1st to 18th November. Data for the investment activity in the manufacturing sector were collected from 1st October to 9th November.
Responsible manager: Juraj Lojka, Director of Business Statistics Coordination and Business Cycle Surveys Department, tel. +420731439291, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact person: Jiri Obst, Head of Business Cycle Surveys Unit, tel. +420604815440, e-mail: email@example.com
Data source: CZSO business survey, Data Collect consumer survey (https://www.datacollect.cz)
End of data collection: November 18, 2020
Next News Release: December 28, 2020
This press release wasn´t edited for language.Business and Consumers Surveys are co-financed by grant agreements of the European Commission DG ECFIN.
- year 2020 | December 2020 | November 2020 | October 2020 | September 2020 | August 2020 | July 2020 | June 2020 | May 2020 | April 2020 | March 2020 | February 2020 | January 2020
- year 2019 | December 2019 | November 2019 | October 2019 | September 2019 | August 2019 | July 2019 | June 2019 | May 2019 | April 2019 | March 2019 | February 2019 | January 2019
- year 2018 | December 2018 | November 2018 | October 2018 | September 2018 | August 2018 | July 2018 | June 2018 | May 2018 | April 2018 | March 2018 | February 2018 | January 2018
- year 2017 | December 2017 | November 2017 | October 2017 | September 2017 | August 2017 | July 2017 | June 2017 | May 2017 | April 2017 | March 2017 | February 2017 | January 2017
- year 2016 | December 2016 | November 2016 | October 2016 | September 2016 | August 2016 | July 2016 | June 2016 | May 2016 | April 2016 | March 2016 | February 2016 | January 2016
- year 2015 | December 2015 | November 2015 | October 2015 | September 2015 | August 2015 | July 2015 | June 2015 | May 2015 | April 2015 | March 2015 | February 2015 | January 2015
- year 2014 | December 2014 | November 2014 | October 2014 | September 2014 | August 2014 | July 2014 | June 2014 | May 2014 | April 2014 | March 2014 | February 2014 | January 2014
- year 2013 | December 2013 | November 2013 | October 2013 | September 2013 | August 2013 | July 2013 | June 2013 | May 2013 | April 2013 | March 2013 | February 2013 | January 2013
- year 2012 | December 2012 | November 2012 | October 2012 | September 2012 | August 2012 | July 2012 | June 2012 | May 2012 | April 2012 | March 2012 | February 2012 | January 2012
- year 2011 | December 2011 | November 2011 | October 2011 | September 2011 | August 2011 | July 2011 | June 2011 | May 2011 | April 2011 | March 2011 | February 2011 | January 2011
- year 2010 | December 2010 | November 2010 | October 2010 | September 2010 | August 2010 | July 2010 | June 2010 | May 2010 | April 2010 | March 2010 | February 2010 | January 2010
The data are valid as of the release date of the publication.
Contact: Information Services Unit - Headquarters
Are you interested in latest data connected with inflation, GDP, population, wages in industry and much more?
You can find them on pages of the Czech Statistical Office on the Internet: www.czso.cz
tel: +420 274 052 304, +420 274 052 451, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org