Business cycle survey - October 2013
Increase in confidence in economy further continued
Overall confidence in domestic economy increased in October, but less than in the previous month. The composite confidence indicator (economic sentiment indicator) increased by 1.7 points compared to September. Overall, confidence of entrepreneurs increased m-o-m. Among entrepreneurs confidence increased in industry and in selected services; in construction almost unchanged; confidence in trade decreased. Confidence of consumers increased too m-o-m. Composite confidence indicator, entrepreneurs confidence indicator and consumer confidence indicator are higher, compared to October 2012.
In industry , in October, the assessment of current overall economic situation decreased. The assessment of current total demand increased, the assessment of foreign demand almost unchanged. According to respondents, stocks of finished goods increased. Production capacity utilization in manufacturing industry increased in October and reached 83.3 %; respondents estimate they have work secured equally as in the previous quarter. Most important barrier of production still is insufficient demand; it was stated by more than half of respondents. For the next three months, respondents expect an increase in the development of production activity and a slightly increase in the employment. Expectations of general economic situation development for the next three as well as six months are higher than in September. All in all, confidence in industry increased, compared to September, and it is higher y-o-y.
In construction, in October, the assessment of current economic situation of the respondents did not change m-o-m. For the next three months, respondents expect an increase in the development of construction activity and in the employment too. The assessment of total demand in October decreased, compared to September. That is why expectations of the economic situation development for the next three months decreased, for the next six months did not change. Overall, confidence in construction almost unchanged, compared to September, and it is lower y-o-y.
In trade , in October, the assessment of current economic situation of the respondents decreased m-o-m. The stocks did not change. Expectations of the economic situation development for the next three months did not change, for the next six months increased, compared to September. In October, confidence in trade decreased m-o-m, and it is lower y-o-y.
In selected services (incl. banking sector) , in October, the assessment of current economic situation of the respondents did not change, m-o-m. The assessment of demand in October did not change too, its expectations for the next three months increased. For the next three as well as six months, expectations of total economic situation development did not change, compared to September. All in all, confidence in selected services increased m-o-m, and it is higher y-o-y.
Consumer confidence indicator increased in October, m-o-m, and it is still higher y-o-y. The survey taken among consumers in October indicates that consumers are for the next twelve months less afraid of a decrease in the overall economic situation. Worries about increase in the unemployment increased, compared to September. Worries about their own financial standing decreased slightly, m-o-m. The share of respondents intending to save money did not change compared to September, the intention to acquire consumer durables increased slightly m-o-m.
Responsible manager: Juraj Lojka, director
Contact person: Marie Hörmannová, tel. +420274052049, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Data source: CZSO business survey, GfK Czech consumer survey
Business and Consumers Surveys are co-financed by grant agreements of the European Commission DG ECFIN
End of data collection: October 18, 2013
Related publication: 1201-13 Business Cycle Survey in Enterprises of Industry, Construction, Trade and Selected Services
Next News Release: November 25, 2013
This press release was not edited for language.
- year 2019 | March 2019 | February 2019 | January 2019
- year 2018 | December 2018 | November 2018 | October 2018 | September 2018 | August 2018 | July 2018 | June 2018 | May 2018 | April 2018 | March 2018 | February 2018 | January 2018
- year 2017 | December 2017 | November 2017 | October 2017 | September 2017 | August 2017 | July 2017 | June 2017 | May 2017 | April 2017 | March 2017 | February 2017 | January 2017
- year 2016 | December 2016 | November 2016 | October 2016 | September 2016 | August 2016 | July 2016 | June 2016 | May 2016 | April 2016 | March 2016 | February 2016 | January 2016
- year 2015 | December 2015 | November 2015 | October 2015 | September 2015 | August 2015 | July 2015 | June 2015 | May 2015 | April 2015 | March 2015 | February 2015 | January 2015
- year 2014 | December 2014 | November 2014 | October 2014 | September 2014 | August 2014 | July 2014 | June 2014 | May 2014 | April 2014 | March 2014 | February 2014 | January 2014
- year 2013 | December 2013 | November 2013 | October 2013 | September 2013 | August 2013 | July 2013 | June 2013 | May 2013 | April 2013 | March 2013 | February 2013 | January 2013
- year 2012 | December 2012 | November 2012 | October 2012 | September 2012 | August 2012 | July 2012 | June 2012 | May 2012 | April 2012 | March 2012 | February 2012 | January 2012
- year 2011 | December 2011 | November 2011 | October 2011 | September 2011 | August 2011 | July 2011 | June 2011 | May 2011 | April 2011 | March 2011 | February 2011 | January 2011
- year 2010 | December 2010 | November 2010 | October 2010 | September 2010 | August 2010 | July 2010 | June 2010 | May 2010 | April 2010 | March 2010 | February 2010 | January 2010
The data are valid as of the release date of the publication.
Contact: Information Services Unit - Headquarters
Are you interested in latest data connected with inflation, GDP, population, wages in industry and much more?
You can find them on pages of the Czech Statistical Office on the Internet: www.czso.cz
tel: +420 274 052 304, +420 274 052 451, e-mail: email@example.com