Business cycle survey - November 2021
Consumer confidence decreased sharply, entrepreneurs are slightly more optimistic m-o-m
The composite confidence indicator (economic sentiment indicator) – in the basis index form – decreased very slightly, m-o-m, this time by 0.1 point to 95.2, due to the opposite development of its components. While the business confidence indicator increased by 1.5 percentage points to 96.2, the consumer confidence indicator fell by 8.1 percentage points to 90.4. Compared to November last year, the composite indicator, the business indicator and the consumer confidence indicator are at a higher level.
Business confidence in industry increased after a four-month decline. The confidence indicator rose by 4.6 points to 93.2. Compared to October, entrepreneurs in industry rated their current total demand worse. The stock of finished products has not changed and remains high. The share of entrepreneurs expecting the growth rate of production activity for the next three months increased compared to the next month. In November, most entrepreneurs expected the sales prices of their products to rise over the next three months from the beginning of the monitoring. In a y-o-y comparison, the confidence of entrepreneurs in industry in higher.
In construction sector, business confidence increased m-o-m. The confidence indicator rose by 2.4 points to 114.0. The share of entrepreneurs evaluating their current demand for construction work as insufficient decreased m-o-m. According to the respondents, the current number of employees will not change in the next three months. Confidence in construction is higher, y-o-y.
In trade sector, confidence declined m-o-m. The confidence indicator fell by 1.2 points to 104.7. The share of entrepreneurs evaluating the overall economic situation as good has hardly changed compared to October. In November, a record number of traders (the highest since the beginning of the monitoring) expected growth in the prices of goods sold over the next three months, and at the same time a slight deterioration in their economic situation over the same time horizon. The stock of goods remained almost unchanged m-o-m. Compared to November 2020, business confidence in trade is higher.
In selected services (including the banking sector), business confidence decreased compared to October. The confidence indicator fell by 1.3 points to 96.3. In m-o-m comparison, the share of entrepreneurs evaluating positively the current and expected demand in the next three months decreased. On the contrary, the share of entrepreneurs evaluating positively the current economic situation increased. As in industry and trade, also in services a record number of entrepreneurs expect growth in the prices of services provided over the next three months. Confidence in selected services is higher, m-o-m.
Consumer confidence in the economy decreased, m-o-m. The confidence indicator fell by 8.1 points to 90.4 in November. The share of respondents expecting a deterioration in the overall economic situation for the next twelve months increased significantly. At the same time, the share of respondents expecting an improvement in their own financial situation decreased significantly again. The number of respondents concerned about rising prices rose again in November, making it the highest in the survey´s history. Concerns about rising unemployment increased compared with the previous month. The number of respondents who expect to save some money in the next twelve months decreased. However, in y-o-y comparison is consumer confidence still higher.
Data for the business and consumer part of the business cycle surveys were collected from 1st to 18th November 2021.
Responsible manager: Juraj Lojka, Director of Business Statistics Coordination and Business Cycle Surveys Department, tel. +420731439291, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact person: Jiri Obst, Head of Business Cycle Surveys Unit, tel. +420604815440, e-mail: email@example.com
Data source: CZSO business survey, Data Collect consumer survey (https://www.datacollect.cz)
End of data collection: November 18, 2021
Next News Release: December 27, 2021
This press release wasn´t edited for language
Business and Consumers Surveys are co-financed by grant agreements of the European Commission DG ECFIN.
- year 2021 | December 2021 | November 2021 | October 2021 | September 2021 | August 2021 | July 2021 | June 2021 | May 2021 | April 2021 | March 2021 | February 2021 | January 2021
- year 2020 | December 2020 | November 2020 | October 2020 | September 2020 | August 2020 | July 2020 | June 2020 | May 2020 | April 2020 | March 2020 | February 2020 | January 2020
- year 2019 | December 2019 | November 2019 | October 2019 | September 2019 | August 2019 | July 2019 | June 2019 | May 2019 | April 2019 | March 2019 | February 2019 | January 2019
- year 2018 | December 2018 | November 2018 | October 2018 | September 2018 | August 2018 | July 2018 | June 2018 | May 2018 | April 2018 | March 2018 | February 2018 | January 2018
- year 2017 | December 2017 | November 2017 | October 2017 | September 2017 | August 2017 | July 2017 | June 2017 | May 2017 | April 2017 | March 2017 | February 2017 | January 2017
- year 2016 | December 2016 | November 2016 | October 2016 | September 2016 | August 2016 | July 2016 | June 2016 | May 2016 | April 2016 | March 2016 | February 2016 | January 2016
- year 2015 | December 2015 | November 2015 | October 2015 | September 2015 | August 2015 | July 2015 | June 2015 | May 2015 | April 2015 | March 2015 | February 2015 | January 2015
- year 2014 | December 2014 | November 2014 | October 2014 | September 2014 | August 2014 | July 2014 | June 2014 | May 2014 | April 2014 | March 2014 | February 2014 | January 2014
- year 2013 | December 2013 | November 2013 | October 2013 | September 2013 | August 2013 | July 2013 | June 2013 | May 2013 | April 2013 | March 2013 | February 2013 | January 2013
- year 2012 | December 2012 | November 2012 | October 2012 | September 2012 | August 2012 | July 2012 | June 2012 | May 2012 | April 2012 | March 2012 | February 2012 | January 2012
- year 2011 | December 2011 | November 2011 | October 2011 | September 2011 | August 2011 | July 2011 | June 2011 | May 2011 | April 2011 | March 2011 | February 2011 | January 2011
- year 2010 | December 2010 | November 2010 | October 2010 | September 2010 | August 2010 | July 2010 | June 2010 | May 2010 | April 2010 | March 2010 | February 2010 | January 2010
The data are valid as of the release date of the publication.