Business cycle survey - April 2013
Confidence of entrepreneurs and confidence of consumers decreased m-o-m
Overall confidence in domestic economy decreased in April. The composite confidence indicator (economic sentiment indicator) decreased by 2.9 points compared to March. Entrepreneurs confidence indicator decreased, m-o-m. Among entrepreneurs confidence decreased in industry, in construction and in trade; in selected services decreased slightly. Confidence of consumers decreased too m-o-m. Composite confidence indicator and entrepreneurs confidence indicator are lower; consumer confidence indicator is higher, compared to April 2012.
In industry , in April, the assessment of current overall economic situation almost unchanged. The assessment of current total and foreign demand decreased. According to respondents, stocks of finished goods increased. Production capacity utilization in manufacturing industry increased in April and reached 82.1%; respondents estimate they have work secured a slightly more than in the previous quarter. Most important barrier of production still is insufficient demand; it was stated by more than half of respondents. For the next three months, respondents still expect no changes in the development of production activity and a slight increase in the employment. Expectations of general economic situation development for the next three months almost unchanged, for the next six months are slightly higher than in March. All in all, confidence in industry decreased, compare to March, and it is still lower y-o-y.
The survey on investment activity taken among manufacturing enterprises suggests that after a slight decrease in 2012, the level of investment should increase by about 1 % in 2013. It refers predominantly to a renewal of production equipment and less to an extension of production capacities and introducing new technologies.
In construction, in April, the assessment of current economic situation of the respondents increased m-o-m. The assessment of total demand decreased, compared to March. For the next three months, respondents expect a decrease in the development of construction activity and a no changes in the employment. Expectations of the economic situation development for the next three as well as six months decreased, m-o-m. Overall, confidence in construction decreased, compared to March, and it is lower y-o-y.
In trade , the assessment of current economic situation of the respondents decreased m-o-m. The stocks did not change. Expectations of the economic situation development for the next three as well as six months decreased, compared to March. In April, confidence in trade decreased m-o-m, and it is lower y-o-y.
In selected services (incl. banking sector) , in April, the assessment of current economic situation of the respondents did not change, m-o-m. The assessment of demand decreased in April, but its expectations for the next three months did not change. For the next three months, expectations of total economic situation development decreased, for the next six months increased, compared to March. All in all, confidence in selected services decreased slightly m-o-m, and it is lower y-o-y.
Consumer confidence indicator decreased in April, m-o-m, but it is higher y-o-y. The survey taken among consumers in April indicates that consumers are for the next twelve months more afraid of a decrease in the overall economic situation. Worries about their own financial standing did not change, m-o-m. Worries about increase in unemployment increased, compared to March. The share of respondents intending to save money decreased slightly. Respondents are still afraid of rise in prices and they do not consider making major purchases.
Responsible manager: Juraj Lojka, director
Contact person: Marie Hörmannová, tel. +420274052049, e-mail: email@example.com
Data source: CZSO business survey, GfK Czech consumer survey
Business and Consumers Surveys are co-financed by grant agreements of the European Commission DG ECFIN
End of data collection: April 18, 2013
Related publication: 1201-13 Business Cycle Survey in Enterprises of Industry, Construction, Trade and Selected Services
Next News Release: May 24, 2013
This press release was not edited for language.
- year 2021 | September 2021 | August 2021 | July 2021 | June 2021 | May 2021 | April 2021 | March 2021 | February 2021 | January 2021
- year 2020 | December 2020 | November 2020 | October 2020 | September 2020 | August 2020 | July 2020 | June 2020 | May 2020 | April 2020 | March 2020 | February 2020 | January 2020
- year 2019 | December 2019 | November 2019 | October 2019 | September 2019 | August 2019 | July 2019 | June 2019 | May 2019 | April 2019 | March 2019 | February 2019 | January 2019
- year 2018 | December 2018 | November 2018 | October 2018 | September 2018 | August 2018 | July 2018 | June 2018 | May 2018 | April 2018 | March 2018 | February 2018 | January 2018
- year 2017 | December 2017 | November 2017 | October 2017 | September 2017 | August 2017 | July 2017 | June 2017 | May 2017 | April 2017 | March 2017 | February 2017 | January 2017
- year 2016 | December 2016 | November 2016 | October 2016 | September 2016 | August 2016 | July 2016 | June 2016 | May 2016 | April 2016 | March 2016 | February 2016 | January 2016
- year 2015 | December 2015 | November 2015 | October 2015 | September 2015 | August 2015 | July 2015 | June 2015 | May 2015 | April 2015 | March 2015 | February 2015 | January 2015
- year 2014 | December 2014 | November 2014 | October 2014 | September 2014 | August 2014 | July 2014 | June 2014 | May 2014 | April 2014 | March 2014 | February 2014 | January 2014
- year 2013 | December 2013 | November 2013 | October 2013 | September 2013 | August 2013 | July 2013 | June 2013 | May 2013 | April 2013 | March 2013 | February 2013 | January 2013
- year 2012 | December 2012 | November 2012 | October 2012 | September 2012 | August 2012 | July 2012 | June 2012 | May 2012 | April 2012 | March 2012 | February 2012 | January 2012
- year 2011 | December 2011 | November 2011 | October 2011 | September 2011 | August 2011 | July 2011 | June 2011 | May 2011 | April 2011 | March 2011 | February 2011 | January 2011
- year 2010 | December 2010 | November 2010 | October 2010 | September 2010 | August 2010 | July 2010 | June 2010 | May 2010 | April 2010 | March 2010 | February 2010 | January 2010
The data are valid as of the release date of the publication.
Contact: Information Services Unit - Headquarters
Are you interested in latest data connected with inflation, GDP, population, wages in industry and much more?
You can find them on pages of the Czech Statistical Office on the Internet: www.czso.cz
tel: +420 274 052 304, +420 274 052 451, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org