Business cycle survey - January 2011
Overall confidence decreased slightly after previous rise
Overall confidence in domestic economy decreased slightly m-o-m in January. The composite confidence indicator (economic sentiment indicator) decreased by 0.3 points, due to a slight decrease in both entrepreneurs’ and consumers’ confidence. Confidence of entrepreneurs decreased a bit (by 0.2 point) m-o-m; confidence of consumers decreased by 0.5 point. Compared to a low value in January 2010, the composite confidence indicator is 11.6 points up.
* * *
Business confidence indicator decreased after a marked increase in December by 0.2 point. Among entrepreneurs, confidence increased in trade and in construction, it did not change in industry and decreased slightly in selected services. Compared to a low value in January 2010, the confidence of entrepreneurs is 14.2 points up.
In industry, the assessment of current overall economic situation as well as of total demand increased in January compared to December. According to respondents, stocks increased a bit. Production capacity utilization in manufacturing industry decreased slightly in January and reached 82.3%; respondents estimate they have work secured by contracts for 7.2 months, which is more than in the previous quarter. Most important barrier of production still is insufficient demand, even though compared to previous quarter it is stated by less respondents (40.3%). For next three months, respondents expect similar pace of production activity and increase in employment. Expectations of general economic situation development for the next three months increased in January, for next six months they did not change. All in all the confidence in industry did not change; compared to low values in January 2010 it is 23 points up.
In construction, the assessment of current economic situation increased slightly in January compared to December as well as the low assessment of total demand did. For the period of the next three months respondents expect an improvement of employment by roughly the same development of construction activity, compared to December. Respondents estimate that they have work secured by contracts for 7.6 months ahead. Expectations of the economic situation development for the next three months are lower than in December, for next six months they hardly changed. Overall, the confidence in construction increased by 6 points, m-o-m, and it is 7.5 points down, y-o-y.
In trade, the assessment of current economic situation in January increased, compared to December. According to respondents, in January, the finished goods stocks decreased slightly. Expectations of the economic situation development for the period of the next three as well as six months are lower than in December. In general, the confidence in trade increased by 1 point, m-o-m, and it is 10 points up y-o-y.
In selected services, according to respondents, the assessment of current economic situation increased slightly compared to December. The assessment of demand as well as its expectations for the next three months decreased. For the period of the next three months expectations of total economic situation development are slightly higher than in December, for next six months they are lower. Most important barrier of production still is insufficient demand (it was stated by 26.6% of respondents). Overall, the confidence in selected services decreased by 1.7 points, m-o-m; it is 6.7 points up y-o-y.
Consumer confidence indicator decreased by 0.5 point compared to December, to be 1.7 points up compared to January 2010. The survey taken among consumers in December indicates that consumers expect for the next twelve months a slight decrease in the overall economic situation as well as in their own financial standing. The share of respondents expecting rises in unemployment hardly changed in January. Percentage of respondents planning to save money increased.
Responsible manager: Juraj Lojka, director
Contact person: Marie Hörmannová, tel. +420274052049, e-mail: email@example.com
Data source: CZSO business survey, GfK Praha consumer survey
Business and Consumers Surveys are co-financed by grant agreements
of the European Commission DG ECFIN
End of data collection: 18 January 2011
Related publication: 1201-10 Business Cycle Survey in Enterprises of Industry, Construction,
Trade and Selected Services
Next News Release: 22 February 2011
Not edited for language
Seasonally adjusted confidence indicators
International comparison (December 2010)
Note: Long term average is usually calculated over the period from 1990, if harmonised data are available (for the Czech Republic, it is an average since 1993).
- year 2021 | September 2021 | August 2021 | July 2021 | June 2021 | May 2021 | April 2021 | March 2021 | February 2021 | January 2021
- year 2020 | December 2020 | November 2020 | October 2020 | September 2020 | August 2020 | July 2020 | June 2020 | May 2020 | April 2020 | March 2020 | February 2020 | January 2020
- year 2019 | December 2019 | November 2019 | October 2019 | September 2019 | August 2019 | July 2019 | June 2019 | May 2019 | April 2019 | March 2019 | February 2019 | January 2019
- year 2018 | December 2018 | November 2018 | October 2018 | September 2018 | August 2018 | July 2018 | June 2018 | May 2018 | April 2018 | March 2018 | February 2018 | January 2018
- year 2017 | December 2017 | November 2017 | October 2017 | September 2017 | August 2017 | July 2017 | June 2017 | May 2017 | April 2017 | March 2017 | February 2017 | January 2017
- year 2016 | December 2016 | November 2016 | October 2016 | September 2016 | August 2016 | July 2016 | June 2016 | May 2016 | April 2016 | March 2016 | February 2016 | January 2016
- year 2015 | December 2015 | November 2015 | October 2015 | September 2015 | August 2015 | July 2015 | June 2015 | May 2015 | April 2015 | March 2015 | February 2015 | January 2015
- year 2014 | December 2014 | November 2014 | October 2014 | September 2014 | August 2014 | July 2014 | June 2014 | May 2014 | April 2014 | March 2014 | February 2014 | January 2014
- year 2013 | December 2013 | November 2013 | October 2013 | September 2013 | August 2013 | July 2013 | June 2013 | May 2013 | April 2013 | March 2013 | February 2013 | January 2013
- year 2012 | December 2012 | November 2012 | October 2012 | September 2012 | August 2012 | July 2012 | June 2012 | May 2012 | April 2012 | March 2012 | February 2012 | January 2012
- year 2011 | December 2011 | November 2011 | October 2011 | September 2011 | August 2011 | July 2011 | June 2011 | May 2011 | April 2011 | March 2011 | February 2011 | January 2011
- year 2010 | December 2010 | November 2010 | October 2010 | September 2010 | August 2010 | July 2010 | June 2010 | May 2010 | April 2010 | March 2010 | February 2010 | January 2010
The data are valid as of the release date of the publication.
Contact: Information Services Unit - Headquarters
Are you interested in latest data connected with inflation, GDP, population, wages in industry and much more?
You can find them on pages of the Czech Statistical Office on the Internet: www.czso.cz
tel: +420 274 052 304, +420 274 052 451, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org