Services - 3rd quarter of 2017
Growth of sales in services decelerated
In the Q3 2017, seasonally adjusted sales in services decreased at constant prices by 0.2%, quarter-on-quarter (q-o-q). Sales adjusted for calendar effects increased at constant prices by 3.1%, year‑on-year (y-o-y); non-adjusted sales increased by 2.5%, y‑o‑y.
In the Q3 2017, seasonally adjusted sales in services1) decreased at constant prices by 0.2%, quarter-on-quarter (q-o-q). A q-o-q growth was recorded only by the sections of transportation and storage and of information and communication.
Year-on-year, sales adjusted for calendar effects increased by 3.1%. There was 1 working day less in the Q3 2017 than in the corresponding period of the previous year. A drop was recorded only by the section of real estate activities.
Non-adjusted sales increased by 2.5%, year-on-year. Development in individual industries of services (CZ-NACE sections) was as follows:
- sales in transportation and storage increased by 2.7%. The growth was achieved mainly owing to the development in warehousing and support activities for transportation, in which sales increased by 6.0%. In the following sales also increased: air transport by 7.5%, water transport by 3.2%, and land transport and transport via pipelines by 0.3%, which is the most important as for the volume of sales. On the contrary, sales for postal and courier activities dropped by 2.9%;
- sales in accommodation and food service activities increased by 4.4%. Development in both the accommodation (+5.6%) and in the food and beverage service activities (+3.7%) contributed to an overall sales growth;
- sales in information and communication increased by 3.3%. Sales in information service activities, which include, for example, data processing, web portals, and hosting increased by 8.5%. A sales increase was recorded also by computer programming, consultancy and related activities (+5.6%), which include, for example, computer programming activities, computer consultancy activities, and computer facilities management activities. Sales increased also in publishing activities (+3.0%) and telecommunications (+2.7%). On the contrary, a decrease in sales was reported by the so-called music and motion picture activities (-19.3%) and programming and broadcasting activities (-3.3%);
- sales in real estate activities stagnated, y-o-y. A growth of sales was reported by real estate activities on a fee or contract basis (+3.9%); however, in (the more important as for their volume) buying and selling of own real estate and renting and operating of own or leased real estate sales decreased (-1.3%);
- sales in professional, scientific and technical activities2) stagnated. The most marked growth was in legal and accounting activities (+5.8%), in which sales have been growing y-o-y already since the Q2 2015. Higher sales were recorded also by other professional, scientific and technical activities (+5.7%), which include, for example, translation services and photographic services, but also business brokerage activities or activities of quantity surveyors. In this section, increasing was also: activities of head offices; management consultancy activities (growth by 2.1%). On the contrary, sales decreased in two most important groups of activities as for their volume, namely: architectural and engineering activities (-4.6%) and advertising and market research (-1.1%);
- sales in administrative and support service activities3) increased by 4.7%. The most successful were travel agency, tour operator reservation service and related activities (growth by 10.1%), which were growing with a two-digit growth rate already for the third quarter. In employment activities there was a deceleration of growth to 6.0% (in the Q2 there was a growth by 16.1%). Higher sales, y-o-y, were also in office administrative, office support and other business support activities (+3.9%) and in rental and leasing activities (+3.3%). On the contrary, a decrease was in services to buildings and landscape activities (-1.2%) and security and investigation activities (-1.8%).
1) For the purpose of the News Release, services include the following CZ-NACE sections: Transportation and storage (H), Accommodation and food service activities (I), Information and communication (J), Real estate activities (L), Professional, scientific and technical activities – without Scientific research and development and Veterinary activities (M without 72 and 75), Administrative and support service activities without Landscape service activities (N without 81.3).
2) For the purpose of the News Release, section M – Professional, scientific and technical activities does not include CZ-NACE 72 – Scientific research and development and CZ-NACE 75 – Veterinary activities.
3) For the purpose of the News Release, section N – Administrative and support service activities does not include CZ-NACE 81.3 – Landscape service activities.
All data in the text of the News Release are at constant prices.
Data for the Q3 2017 are preliminary; final data for individual quarters of 2017 will be available in June 2018.
Responsible head at the CZSO: Marie Boušková, phone number: (+420) 274052935, e-mail: email@example.com
Contact person: Jana Gotvaldová, phone number: (+420) 274052691, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Method of data acquisition: direct survey of the CZSO (SP 1-12)
End of data collection: 27 October 2017
End of data processing: 1 November 2017
Related outputs: Base indices since 2000 and y-o-y indices since 2001 are available in time series (excluding section J, which is available since 2005 or rather 2006).
Next News Release will be published on: 8 February 2018
- year 2017 | 3rd quarter of 2017 | 2nd quarter of 2017 | 1st quarter of 2017
- year 2016 | 4. quarter of 2016 | 3. quarter of 2016 | 2. quarter of 2016 | 1. quarter of 2016
- year 2015 | 4. quarter of 2015 | 3. quarter of 2015 | 2. quarter of 2015 | 1. quarter of 2015
- year 2014 | 4 quarter 2014 | 3 quarter 2014 | 2 quarter 2014 | 1 quarter 2014
- year 2013 | 4th quarter of 2013 | 3rd quarter of 2013 | 2nd quarter of 2013 | 1st quarter of 2013
- year 2012 | 4th quarter of 2012 | 3rd quarter of 2012 | 2nd quarter of 2012 | 1st quarter of 2012
- year 2011 | 4th quarter of 2011 | 3rd quarter of 2011 | 2nd quarter of 2011 | 1st quarter of 2011
- year 2010 | 4th quarter of 2010 | 3rd quarter of 2010 | 2nd quarter of 2010 | 1st quarter of 2010
The data are valid as of the release date of the publication.
Contact: Information Services Unit - Headquarters
Are you interested in latest data connected with inflation, GDP, population, wages in industry and much more?
You can find them on pages of the Czech Statistical Office on the Internet: www.czso.cz
tel: +420 274 052 304, +420 274 052 451, e-mail: email@example.com