Tourism - 4. quarter of 2022
Number of overnight stays reached 50.6 million nights last year
In the Q4 2022, the total number of guests accommodated in collective accommodation establishments increased by 42.7%, year-on-year (y-o-y), and the number of overnight stays of guests in collective accommodation establishments increased by 32.9%, y-o-y. For the whole year 2022, collective accommodation establishments reported an increase in both: the number of arrivals and overnight stays. 19.5 million guests accommodated in collective accommodation establishments and spent there 50.6 million nights. The last year’s number of guests, however, still did not reach the pre-covid results from the year 2019.
The number of overnight stays of guests in collective accommodation establishments reached 10.3 million nights in the Q4 2022, which was by a third more compared to the corresponding period of 2021. In absolute terms, it was an increase by 2.5 million nights. The number of overnight stays of guests from the Czech Republic (CR) increased by 5.9%. As for guests from abroad, their year-on-year increase in the number of overnight stays reached 83.1%. Foreigners spent in collective accommodation establishments by 2.2 million nights more than a year before.
“In the Q4 2022, 4.3 million guests accommodated in the surveyed establishments, which was a year-on-year increase by 1.3 million arrivals,” Marie Boušková, Director of the Trade, Transport, Services, Tourism, and Environmental Statistics Department of the Czech Statistical Office (CZSO), stated.
In relative terms, it was an increase by 42.7%, year-on-year. In total, 2.3 million domestic guests accommodated, by 16.2% more compared to the end of 2021. Arrivals of foreign guests increased almost twofold (by 93.7%) to 2 million visits.
“The number of guests in accommodation establishments was increasing in all Regions of the Czech Republic at the end of 2022 only except for the Karlovarský Region, in which the number of arrivals of residents decreased by 3.3% and the number of overnight stays of the domestic clientele decreased there by almost 12%,” Pavel Vančura, Head of the Tourism and Environmental Statistics Unit of the CZSO, said.
The highest number of foreign guests (non-residents; by citizenship) came from Germany in the Q4 2022. In the surveyed accommodation establishments, Germans made a fourth of guests from abroad (513 thousand arrivals). Compared to the corresponding period of the previous year, their number doubled. The second most numerous group consisted of guests from Slovakia (193 thousand) with an increase by 90.4%, year-on-year. Guests from Poland ranked third (125 thousand arrivals; y-o-y increase by 85.3%). As for non-European countries, the highest number of foreign guests accommodated in accommodation establishments in the CR were citizens of the United States of America ranking fourth (98 thousand arrivals) and as for the number of overnight stays also tourists from Israel (142 thousand nights).
Development in 2022
In 2022, collective accommodation establishments reported an increase in both the number of arrivals and overnight stays. 19.5 million guests accommodated (+70.9%); they spent 50.6 million nights in total in collective accommodation establishments (+58.6%). Although the number of guests is increasing, year-on-year, an influence of low comparison basis from the previous years, which were negatively affected by coronavirus, is still obvious. Compared to the year 2019, the volume of the total number of guests in 2022 was on 89%. The number of guests from Czechia exceeded the year 2019 in both the number of arrivals and overnight stays by 9% already, however, the accommodation providers still miss a third (32.5%) of their clientele from abroad.
The total number of guests includes data concerning Ukrainian nationals who paid for their accommodation themselves. However, due to the war conflict in Ukraine, operators of accommodation establishments were not always able to distinguish whether their guests are tourists or refugees. Therefore, also persons who cannot be objectively considered tourism participants according to international recommendations might have been included in the number of guests.
Responsible head at the CZSO: Marie Boušková, Director of the Trade, Transport, Services, Tourism, and Environmental Statistics Department, phone number (+420) 274 052 935, e-mail: email@example.com
Contact person: Pavel Vančura, Head of the Tourism and Environmental Statistics Unit, phone number (+420) 274 052 096, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Method of data acquisition: direct survey of the CZSO in collective accommodation establishments
End of data collection: 23 January 2023
End of data processing: 31 January 2023
Related data set: https://www.czso.cz/csu/czso/tourism_ekon
Next News Release will be published on: 10 May 2023
- year 2023 | 1. quarter of 2023
- year 2022 | 4. quarter of 2022 | 3. quarter of 2022 | 2. quarter of 2022 | 1. quarter of 2022
- year 2021 | 4. quarter of 2021 | 3. quarter of 2021 | 2. quarter of 2021 | 1. quarter of 2021
- year 2020 | 4th quarter of 2020 | 3rd quarter of 2020 | 2nd quarter of 2020 | 1st quarter of 2020
- year 2019 | 4th quarter of 2019 | 3rd quarter of 2019 | 2nd quarter of 2019 | 1st quarter of 2019
- year 2018 | 4. quarter of 2018 | 3. quarter of 2018 | 2. quarter of 2018 | 1. quarter of 2018
- year 2017 | 4th quarter of 2017 | 3rd quarter of 2017 | 2nd quarter of 2017 | 1st quarter of 2017
- year 2016 | 4. quarter of 2016 | 3. quarter of 2016 | 2. quarter of 2016 | 1. quarter of 2016
- year 2015 | 4. quarter of 2015 | 3. quarter of 2015 | 2. quarter of 2015 | 1. quarter of 2015
- year 2014 | 4 quarter 2014 | 3 quarter 2014 | 2 quarter 2014 | 1 quarter 2014
- year 2013 | 4th quarter of 2013 | 3rd quarter of 2013 | 2nd quarter of 2013 | 1st quarter of 2013
- year 2012 | 4th quarter of 2012 | 3rd quarter of 2012 | 2nd quarter of 2012 | 1st quarter of 2012
- year 2011 | 4th quarter of 2011 | 3rd quarter of 2011 | 2nd quarter of 2011 | 1st quarter of 2011
- year 2010 | 4th quarter of 2010 | 3rd quarter of 2010 | 2nd quarter of 2010 | 1st quarter of 2010
The data are valid as of the release date of the publication.
Contact: Information Services Unit - Headquarters, tel.: +420 274 056 789, email: email@example.com