Retail trade - September 2017
Sales grew the most for clothing and footwear
Seasonally adjusted sales in retail trade, except of motor vehicles and motorcycles (CZ‑NACE 47) increased by 1.9% in September at constant prices, month-on-month. Sales for sale of automotive fuel increased by 1.4%, sales for sale of non-food goods increased by 2.1%, and for food by 1.1%.
Sales in retail trade adjusted for calendar effects increased by 7.4%, year-on-year; sales for sale of non-food goods by 10.6%, for automotive fuel sales increased by 6.6%, and for food by 2.9%. September 2017 had 1 working day less than September 2016.
Non-adjusted sales in retail trade increased by 6.2%, y-o-y; sales for sale of non-food goods increased by 8.8%, for automotive fuel sales increased by 5.2%, and for food by 2.7%.
Retail sale via mail order houses or via Internet (growth by 19.3%) had the highest influence on the y-o-y growth of non-adjusted sales in retail trade. However, the highest growth rate was reported by retail sale of clothing and footwear (+22.3%). Higher sales were also in the following: retail sale of electrical household appliances in specialised stores, retail sale of hardware, paints and glass in specialised stores, and in retail sale of furniture, lighting equipment and other household articles in specialised stores (+8.9%), retail sale of information and communication equipment (+7.3%), and retail sale of cultural and recreation goods (+6.1%). In retail sale in non-specialised stores with food, beverages or tobacco predominating sales increased by 3.0%. On the contrary, retail sale of food, beverages and tobacco in specialised stores reported decrease (-2.0%). Lower sales were recorded also by retail sale of dispensing chemist and medical and orthopaedic goods in specialised stores (-2.2%).
The price deflator (CZ-NACE 47) related to the corresponding period of the previous year (VAT excluded) was 101.7%. It was influenced mainly by higher prices of food, dispensing chemist and medical and orthopaedic goods, and automotive fuel. On the contrary, prices decreased in retail sale of information and communication equipment in specialised stores and retail sale of other household equipment in specialised stores.
Seasonally adjusted sales for sale and repair of motor vehicles (CZ-NACE 45) decreased at constant prices by 0.5%, m-o-m. Sales adjusted for calendar effects increased by 1.6%, y-o-y. Non-adjusted sales decreased by 1.7%, y-o-y; sales for sale of motor vehicles (including spare parts) decreased by 2.0%, y‑o‑y, and for repair of motor vehicles by 0.4%, y‑o‑y.
International comparison of retail sales development in the EU Member States is available at: http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/short-term-business-statistics/publications/news-releases.
For the entire third quarter of 2017, sales in retail trade except of motor vehicles and motorcycles (CZ‑NACE 47) adjusted for calendar effects increased by 5.6% at constant prices, y-o-y, non-adjusted increased by 5.2% (there was 1 working day less in the Q3 2017 compared to the corresponding period of 2016). Non-adjusted sales for sale of non-food goods increased by 7.1%, y-o-y, for automotive fuel by 6.2%, and for food by 2.3%. For sale and repair of motor vehicles (CZ-NACE 45) sales adjusted for calendar effects increased by 0.2%, y-o-y, non-adjusted decreased by 0.9%. Non-adjusted sales for sale of motor vehicles (including spare parts) decreased by 1.5%, y-o-y, while for repair of motor vehicles they increased by 1.6%.
All data in the text of the News Release are at constant prices.
Data for September 2017 are preliminary. Final data for all months of 2017 will be published in June 2018.
Responsible head at the CZSO: Marie Boušková, phone number: (+420) 274 052 935, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact person: Jana Gotvaldová, phone number: (+420) 274 052 691, e-mail: email@example.com
Method of data acquisition: direct survey of the CZSO (SP1-12)
End of data collection: 27 October 2017
End of data processing: 1 November 2017
Related outputs: Base indices and y-o-y indices since 2000 and 2001, respectively, are available in time series (https://www.czso.cz/csu/czso/sales_indices_monthly_retail_trade_hotels_and_restaurants_time_series).
Next News Release will be published on: 6 December 2017
- year 2017 | September 2017 | August 2017 | July 2017 | June 2017 | May 2017 | April 2017 | March 2017 | February 2017 | January 2017
- year 2016 | December 2016 | November 2016 | October 2016 | September 2016 | August 2016 | July 2016 | June 2016 | May 2016 | April 2016 | March 2016 | February 2016 | January 2016
- year 2015 | December 2015 | November 2015 | October 2015 | September 2015 | August 2015 | July 2015 | June 2015 | May 2015 | April 2015 | March 2015 | February 2015 | January 2015
- year 2014 | December 2014 | November 2014 | October 2014 | September 2014 | August 2014 | July 2014 | June 2014 | May 2014 | April 2014 | March 2014 | February 2014 | January 2014
- year 2013 | December 2013 | November 2013 | October 2013 | September 2013 | August 2013 | July 2013 | June 2013 | May 2013 | April 2013 | March 2013 | February 2013 | January 2013
- year 2012 | December 2012 | November 2012 | October 2012 | September 2012 | August 2012 | July 2012 | June 2012 | May 2012 | April 2012 | March 2012 | February 2012 | January 2012
- year 2011 | December 2011 | November 2011 | October 2011 | September 2011 | August 2011 | July 2011 | June 2011 | May 2011 | April 2011 | March 2011 | February 2011 | January 2011
- year 2010 | December 2010 | November 2010 | October 2010 | September 2010 | August 2010 | July 2010 | June 2010 | May 2010 | April 2010 | March 2010 | February 2010 | January 2010
The data are valid as of the release date of the publication.
Contact: Information Services Unit - Headquarters
Are you interested in latest data connected with inflation, GDP, population, wages in industry and much more?
You can find them on pages of the Czech Statistical Office on the Internet: www.czso.cz
tel: +420 274 052 304, +420 274 052 451, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org