Construction - September 2019
Production Retained the High Level of the Last Year September
In September 2019 the working days adjusted construction output increased by 0.2% year-on-year (y-o-y), in real terms. The seasonally adjusted construction output grew by 1.8%, month-on-month (m-o-m). The planning and building control authorities granted by 12.0% more building permits, y-o-y, and the approximate value of permitted constructions grew by 4.6%, y-o-y. The number of started dwellings soared by 45.8%, y-o-y; and the number of completed dwellings soared by 40.9%, y-o-y.
In September 2019 the construction output1 increased by 1.8%, m-o-m, in real terms. From annual point of view, it grew by 0.2%. The production in building construction increased by 1.0% (contribution +0.7 percentage points (p.p.)), y-o-y compared to the same month of the last year. The production of civil engineering construction declined by 1.7% (contribution −0.5 p.p.), y-o-y. The working days unadjusted construction output was up by 2.9%, y-o-y. September 2019 was by two working days longer than September 2018.
The average registered number of employees2 in construction grew by 1.6%, y-o-y in September 2019. Their average gross monthly nominal wage increased by 5.4%, y-o-y, in September 2019.
In September 2019 the number of building permits granted increased by 12.0%, y-o-y. The planning and building control authorities granted 7 535 building permits. The approximate value of the permitted constructions attained CZK 33.2 billion and grew by 4.6% compared to that of the corresponding period of 2018.
The number of dwellings started in September 2019 soared by 45.8%, y-o-y, and attained 3 653 dwellings. The number of dwellings started in family houses fell by 2.9%. The number of dwellings started in multi-dwelling buildings increased more than five times, yet the annual comparison is in part affected by a low comparison basis.
The number of completed dwellings soared by 40.9%, y-o-y, in September 2019 and was 3 308 dwellings. The number of completed dwellings in family houses jumped up by 18.8%. The number of completed dwellings in multi-dwelling buildings increased two times.
According to Eurostat the WDA (working days adjusted) construction output in the EU28 increased by 1.9%, y-o-y, in August 2019. Buildings increased by 2.2% and civil engineering works grew by 1.4%. According to the preliminary schedule Eurostat shall release the data for September 2019 on 19 November 2019.
Construction in Q3 2019
In Q3 2019, compared to Q2 2019, the construction output was by 0.2% lower, quarter-on-quarter, in real terms. The construction output increased by 0.4%, y-o-y. The production in building construction decreased by 0.4% (contribution −0.3 p.p.), y-o-y, and the production of civil engineering construction grew by 2.2% (contribution +0.7 p.p.), y-o-y. The working days unadjusted construction output increased by 1.8%, y-o-y. Q3 2019 was by three working days longer than Q3 2018.
The average registered number of employees in construction increased by 1.1%, y-o-y in Q3 2019. Their average monthly nominal wage increased by 6.3%, y-o-y in Q3 2019.
In Q3 2019, the number of building orders of construction enterprises with 50+ employees declined by 6.0%, y-o-y; the enterprises received and concluded 15 874 building orders in the Czech Republic. The total value of the orders jumped up by 19.8%, y-o-y and was CZK 65.1 billion. The building construction orders were for CZK 28.2 billion (increase by 4.4%) and those for civil engineering constructions were for CZK 36.8 billion (increase by 35.1%). The average value of a new concluded building order was CZK 4.1 million and was by 27.5% higher, y-o-y.
At the end of Q3 2019 construction enterprises with 50+ employees had 21.0 thousand orders contracted (increase by 0.6%) and these orders represented the inventory of still unimplemented construction works of the total value of CZK 178.3 billion (increase by 11.8%).
In Q3 2019 the number of building permits granted increased by 7.9%, y-o-y; the planning and building control authorities granted 22 394 building permits. The approximate value of constructions permitted in Q3 2019 accounted for CZK 100.0 billion and grew by 9.8%, y-o-y, compared to that in the corresponding period of 2018.
The floor area of new buildings permitted in Q3 2019 was 1 844 thousand m2, which means a growth by 14.1%, compared y-o-y. The floor area of permitted residential buildings jumped up by 22.0%, and that of non-residential buildings grew by 5.2%.
The number of dwellings started in Q3 2019 jumped up by 22.6%, y-o-y and accounted for 10 035 dwellings. The number of dwellings started in family houses grew by 0.1%, and that in multi-dwelling buildings grew more than two times.
The number of completed dwellings in Q3 2019 increased by 11.8%, y-o-y and attained 9 355 dwellings. The number of completed dwellings in family houses grew by 4.9%, y-o-y, and the number of completed dwellings in multi-dwelling buildings jumped up by 30.2%.
1 The year-on-year trend in construction production is published as a working days adjusted value, unless otherwise stated. Month-on-month and quarter-on-quarter indices are also seasonally adjusted. Increments of a growth or decline are also calculated on the basis of working days adjusted figures.
2 Indicators on employment in construction are for the whole population of enterprises having construction as a dominant activity. The indicator of registered number of employees does not include persons working under various contracts for work, working owners of enterprises and cooperating household members, who do not have contracts of employment. Data on the registered number of employees in construction also exclude agency workers, who have contracts of employment, yet within activities of services (CZ-NACE 78.2).
Responsible head at the CZSO: Radek Matějka, Director of the Industrial, Construction, and Energy Statistics Department, phone: (+420) 274052894, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact person: Petra Cuřínová, Head of the Construction Statistics Unit, phone: (+420) 274054199, e- mail: email@example.com
Method of data acquisition: the CZSO direct surveys of Stav 1-12 and Stav 2-12
End of data collection: 31 October 2019
Next News Release will be published on: 9 December 2019
- year 2019 | September 2019 | August 2019 | July 2019 | June 2019 | May 2019 | April 2019 | March 2019 | February 2019 | January 2019
- year 2018 | December 2018 | November 2018 | October 2018 | September 2018 | August 2018 | July 2018 | June 2018 | May 2018 | April 2018 | March 2018 | February 2018 | January 2018
- year 2017 | December 2017 | November 2017 | October 2017 | September 2017 | August 2017 | July 2017 | June 2017 | May 2017 | April 2017 | March 2017 | February 2017 | January 2017
- year 2016 | December 2016 | November 2016 | October 2016 | September 2016 | August 2016 | July 2016 | June 2016 | May 2016 | April 2016 | March 2016 | February 2016 | January 2016
- year 2015 | December 2015 | November 2015 | October 2015 | September 2015 | August 2015 | July 2015 | June 2015 | May 2015 | April 2015 | March 2015 | February 2015 | January 2015
- year 2014 | December 2014 | November 2014 | October 2014 | September 2014 | August 2014 | July 2014 | June 2014 | May 2014 | April 2014 | March 2014 | February 2014 | January 2014
- year 2013 | December 2013 | November 2013 | October 2013 | September 2013 | August 2013 | July 2013 | June 2013 | May 2013 | April 2013 | March 2013 | February 2013 | January 2013
- year 2012 | December 2012 | November 2012 | October 2012 | September 2012 | August 2012 | July 2012 | June 2012 | May 2012 | April 2012 | March 2012 | February 2012 | January 2012
- year 2011 | December 2011 | November 2011 | October 2011 | September 2011 | August 2011 | July 2011 | June 2011 | May 2011 | April 2011 | March 2011 | February 2011 | January 2011
- year 2010 | December 2010 | November 2010 | October 2010 | September 2010 | August 2010 | July 2010 | June 2010 | May 2010 | April 2010 | March 2010 | February 2010 | January 2010
The data are valid as of the release date of the publication.
Contact: Information Services Unit - Headquarters
Are you interested in latest data connected with inflation, GDP, population, wages in industry and much more?
You can find them on pages of the Czech Statistical Office on the Internet: www.czso.cz
tel: +420 274 052 304, +420 274 052 451, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org