Average wages - 3rd quarter of 2019
Average Wage Increased by 4.0% in Real Terms
In Q3 2019 the average gross monthly nominal wage per full-time equivalent (FTE) employee in the national economy increased by 6.9% compared to the same period of the previous year. In real terms it grew by 4.0%. The median wage was CZK 29 549.
In Q3 2019 the average gross monthly nominal wage1) (hereinafter only as ‘the average wage’) per FTE employee in the national economy was CZK 33 697, which was by CZK 2 163 (6.9%) more than in the same period of 2018. In the aforementioned period of 2019 consumer prices grew by 2.8% and thus wages increased by 4.0% in real terms. The wage volume grew by 7.0% and the number of employees increased by 0.1%.
Compared to the previous quarter, the seasonally adjusted average wage in Q3 2019 increased by 1.6%.
The median wage was CZK 29 549 and increased by 6.7 % compared to the same period of the previous year. The male median wage reached CZK 31 909 and the female one was CZK 26 887. Eighty per cent of employees earned wages within the interval from CZK 15 680 to CZK 52 531.
In the period of Q1 2019 through Q3 2019 the average wage reached CZK 33 429 and its increment was CZK 2 233 (7.2%), compared year-on-year. In the aforementioned period of 2019 consumer prices grew by 2.8% and thus wages increased by 4.3% in real terms.
1) The average gross monthly nominal wage is a share of wage funds (including extra pay for overtime work, bonuses, compensation of wages, etc.) for one employee per month. Therefore this does not indicate what wage one concrete employee has. The earnings structure statistics, in which data on earnings of respective employees are available, show that roughly two thirds of employees have the average wage below the national average.
The median wage represents a value of an employee wage in the middle of the wage distribution. That means one half of the wages is lower and the second half of the wages is higher than the median wage. Conversely to the average wage, which is calculated on the basis of background data from enterprise reports, the median must be derived from a statistical-mathematical model based on a sample survey, because enterprise questionnaires contain just aggregated data for the whole enterprise or organization.
It is necessary to keep in mind the employers pay, from the gross wages, appropriate amounts for premiums for health insurance and social security, income tax advances of natural persons, and other statutory deductions, or deductions agreed with the employee for their employees. The employees are paid net wages.
The data are preliminary. Revised data will be available in March 2020.
Responsible head at the CZSO: D Holý, Director of the Labour Market and Equal Opportunities Statistics Department, phone +420 274 052 694, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact person: J Erhartová, Head of the Labour Statistics Unit, phone +420 274 052 116, e-mail: email@example.com
Method of data acquisition: The direct survey and models of the CZSO, and the ISAE (Information System on Average Earnings) model
End of data processing: 21 November 2019
Related data set: 110024-19 Registered Number of Employees and Their Wages (Third Quarter of 2019),
Next News Release will be published on: 6 March 2020
Related analysis: The development of the Czech labour market - 3. quarter of 2019
- year 2023 | 2. quarter of 2023 | 1. quarter of 2023
- year 2022 | 4. quarter of 2022 | 3. quarter of 2022 | 2. quarter of 2022 | 1. quarter of 2022
- year 2021 | 4. quarter of 2021 | 3. quarter of 2021 | 2. quarter of 2021 | 1. quarter of 2021
- year 2020 | 4th quarter of 2020 | 3rd quarter of 2020 | 2nd quarter of 2020 | 1st quarter of 2020
- year 2019 | 4th quarter of 2019 | 3rd quarter of 2019 | 2nd quarter of 2019 | 1st quarter of 2019
- year 2018 | 4. quarter of 2018 | 3. quarter of 2018 | 2. quarter of 2018 | 1. quarter of 2018
- year 2017 | 4th quarter of 2017 | 3rd quarter of 2017 | 2nd quarter of 2017 | 1st quarter of 2017
- year 2016 | 4. quarter of 2016 | 3. quarter of 2016 | 2. quarter of 2016 | 1. quarter of 2016
- year 2015 | 4. quarter of 2015 | 3. quarter of 2015 | 2. quarter of 2015 | 1. quarter of 2015
- year 2014 | 4 quarter 2014 | 3 quarter 2014 | 2 quarter 2014 | 1 quarter 2014
- year 2013 | 4th quarter of 2013 | 3rd quarter of 2013 | 2nd quarter of 2013 | 1st quarter of 2013
- year 2012 | 4th quarter of 2012 | 3rd quarter of 2012 | 2nd quarter of 2012 | 1st quarter of 2012
- year 2011 | 4th quarter of 2011 | 3rd quarter of 2011 | 2nd quarter of 2011 | 1st quarter of 2011
- year 2010 | 4th quarter of 2010 | 3rd quarter of 2010 | 2nd quarter of 2010 | 1st quarter of 2010
The data are valid as of the release date of the publication.