Average wages - 1. quarter of 2021
Average wage increased by 1.0% in real terms
In the Q1 2021, the average gross monthly nominal wage per full-time equivalent (FTE) employee in the national economy increased by 3.2% compared to the corresponding period of the previous year. In real terms, it increased by 1.0%. The median wage was CZK 29 867.
In the Q1 2021, the average gross monthly nominal wage (hereinafter referred to as ‘the average wage’) per FTE employee in the national economy in total was CZK 35 285, which is by CZK 1 089 (3.2%) more than in the corresponding period of 2020. In the aforementioned period, consumer prices increased by 2.2% and the wage thus increased by 1.0% in real terms. The volume of wages increased by 1.7%; the number of employees decreased by 1.4%.
Compared to the previous quarter, the seasonally adjusted average wage increased by 0.6% in the Q1 2021.
According to the breakdown of economic activities (industries) by the CZ-NACE section, the average wage compared to the corresponding period of 2020 decreased the most in the following economic activities (CZ-NACE sections): ‘arts, entertainment and recreation’ (decrease by 5.1%) and ‘accommodation and food service activities’ (decrease by 2.6%). On the contrary, the highest growth was reported by the following economic activities: ‘real estate activities’ (12.2%), ‘human health and social work activities’ (11.3%), and ‘electricity, gas, steam and air conditioning supply’ (4.9%).
The median wage (CZK 29 867) increased by 2.5% compared to the corresponding period of the previous year. The male median wage reached CZK 32 235 and the female one was CZK 27 237. Eighty per cent of employees earned wages within the interval from CZK 15 430 to CZK 56 423.
 The average gross monthly wage is a share of wage funds (including extra pay for overtime work, bonuses, compensation of wages, etc.) for one employee per month. Therefore, this does not indicate what wage one specific employee has. The earnings structure statistics, in which data on earnings of respective employees are available, show that about two thirds of employees have a wage below the national average.
The median wage represents a value of an employee wage in the middle of the wage distribution. It means that one half of the wages is lower and the second half of the wages is higher than the median wage. Unlike the average wage, which is calculated based on background data from enterprise reports, the median must be derived from a statistical-mathematical model based on a sample survey, because enterprise questionnaires (reports) contain only aggregated data for a whole enterprise or organisation.
It has to be kept in mind that from the gross wages the employers pay appropriate amounts for premiums for health insurance and social security and income tax advances of natural persons for their employees. The employees are paid net wages.
The data are preliminary. Refined data will be available in September 2021.
Responsible head at the CZSO: Dalibor Holý, Director of the Labour Market and Equal Opportunities Statistics Department, phone number (+420) 274 052 694, e-mail: email@example.com
Contact person: Jitka Erhartová, Head of the Labour Statistics Unit, phone number (+420) 274 052 116, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Method of data acquisition: The direct survey and models of the CZSO; the ISAE (Information System on Average Earnings) model
End of data processing: 21 May 2021
Related data set: 110024-21 Registered number of employees and their wages (the first quarter of 2021),
Next News Release will be published on: 3 September 2021
Related analysis: The development of the Czech labour market - 1. quarter of 2021
- year 2021 | 2. quarter of 2021 | 1. quarter of 2021
- year 2020 | 4th quarter of 2020 | 3rd quarter of 2020 | 2nd quarter of 2020 | 1st quarter of 2020
- year 2019 | 4th quarter of 2019 | 3rd quarter of 2019 | 2nd quarter of 2019 | 1st quarter of 2019
- year 2018 | 4. quarter of 2018 | 3. quarter of 2018 | 2. quarter of 2018 | 1. quarter of 2018
- year 2017 | 4th quarter of 2017 | 3rd quarter of 2017 | 2nd quarter of 2017 | 1st quarter of 2017
- year 2016 | 4. quarter of 2016 | 3. quarter of 2016 | 2. quarter of 2016 | 1. quarter of 2016
- year 2015 | 4. quarter of 2015 | 3. quarter of 2015 | 2. quarter of 2015 | 1. quarter of 2015
- year 2014 | 4 quarter 2014 | 3 quarter 2014 | 2 quarter 2014 | 1 quarter 2014
- year 2013 | 4th quarter of 2013 | 3rd quarter of 2013 | 2nd quarter of 2013 | 1st quarter of 2013
- year 2012 | 4th quarter of 2012 | 3rd quarter of 2012 | 2nd quarter of 2012 | 1st quarter of 2012
- year 2011 | 4th quarter of 2011 | 3rd quarter of 2011 | 2nd quarter of 2011 | 1st quarter of 2011
- year 2010 | 4th quarter of 2010 | 3rd quarter of 2010 | 2nd quarter of 2010 | 1st quarter of 2010
The data are valid as of the release date of the publication.
Contact: Information Services Unit - Headquarters
Are you interested in latest data connected with inflation, GDP, population, wages in industry and much more?
You can find them on pages of the Czech Statistical Office on the Internet: www.czso.cz
tel: +420 274 052 304, +420 274 052 451, e-mail: email@example.com